Director of Finance (part-time)
Philanthropy Ohio | Columbus, Ohio
Position Title: Director, Finance
Reports to: VP, Operations & Strategy
Background: Philanthropy Ohio is a statewide membership association that leads and equips Ohio philanthropy to be effective partners for change in our communities. Working towards a vision of a just and vibrant Ohio through impactful philanthropy, their dedicated staff helps members achieve their charitable goals by advocating, educating, convening and collaborating – all while centering equity.
Members are community and private foundations, corporate contributions programs, individuals, giving circles, government, federated funds including United Ways and other grantmaking organizations. Incorporated in 1984, Philanthropy Ohio is a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with a regional office (serving northern Ohio) located in Cleveland. Their 200+ member organizations have assets totaling nearly $64 billion and invest over $4 billion annually in addressing community needs. Philanthropy Ohio is a member of United Philanthropy Forum, the national umbrella organization for nearly 80 regional and national philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs), representing 7,000 foundations and other funders, who work to make philanthropy better.
The Director of Finance is a member of the finance and operations team, manages the administrative, financial, and employee benefits functions of Philanthropy Ohio and ensures the efficient execution of daily operations. This is a part-time exempt position, working three days per week, and reporting to the VP of Operations & Strategy based in the Columbus office.
Finance and Accounting
- Supports the VP Operations & Strategy with the long-term resource strategy and annual budget planning to insure sustainability of the organization
- Directs Philanthropy Ohio’s financial systems including accounting, accounts receivables and payables, budget management, projections, internal controls, and risk management
- Processes payroll; submits state and federal tax reports; creates W2s and 1099s for employees and vendors at the end of each fiscal year
- Produces monthly financial reports and committee reports as required
- Oversees the annual financial audit and 990 preparation process; maintains relationship with independent auditors
- Supports the Finance Committee, ensuring committee members receive sufficient information to analyze the organization’s financial performance and status
- Supports the Audit Committee, ensuring the annual audit and 990 process is fully transparent to committee members
- Analyzes financial and operational data to increase knowledge of Philanthropy Ohio’s business
- Under general direction from the Finance Committee and the VP of Operations & Strategy, maintains contact with outside investment managers and implements investments within Philanthropy Ohio’s investment strategy policy
- Assists the VP, President and Board of Trustees as directed
- Manages employee benefits plans, including but not limited to medical, vision, dental, life, FSA and HRA, and retirement
- Ensures all licenses and government required filings are processed on time, including reporting for the Joint Legislative Ethics Committee
- Assists VP Operations & Strategy in developing and submitting RFPs for outsourced services; selects vendors and manages vendor relationships
- Manage office facilities including leases, subleases, space planning, equipment and furnishings
- Maintain the legal records of Philanthropy Ohio
Preferred qualifications for this position
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; advanced business degree a plus
- 3 years’ experience in nonprofit finance, with knowledge of nonprofit financial and accounting principles and practices
- 1-3 years’ experience managing employee benefits
- Experience with financial and data analysis
- Advanced skill level with QuickBooks and Excel
- Detail-oriented professional able to initiate, research and move projects successfully to completion
- High degree of confidentiality, integrity and diplomacy
- Superior organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
Qualifications Common to all Positions at Philanthropy Ohio
- Attention to detail, ability to produce high-quality, timely work products
- Communicate effectively in a variety of settings and styles
- Experience with or interest in learning about organized philanthropy
- Ability to manage multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Work collaboratively in a team environment
- Approach responsibilities creatively with the goal of continuous improvement
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Zoom
- Embraces and stays current on new technology
The salary range for this part-time position working three days a week is $33,600 - $42,000. In addition, Philanthropy Ohio offers paid vacation, sick leave, retirement benefits and a collegial work environment.
To apply: Applicants must send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com . Deadline for submissions is 12/10/2021.
Philanthropy Ohio is an equal opportunity employer. There shall be no discrimination of persons on the basis of race, age, sex, marital status, disability, citizenship, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief with regard to hiring, assignment, promotion or other conditions of staff employment.