Government Affairs Director
Columbus Realtors | Columbus, Ohio
Columbus Realtors is comprised of over 9,500 real estate professionals engaged in residential sales and leasing, commercial sales and leasing, property management, appraisal, consultation, real estate syndication, land development and more.
The Government Affairs Director (GAD) will monitor political, legislative, and regulatory issues affecting the residential and commercial real estate industries in Central Ohio; advise the CEO, general membership, and volunteer leadership of these matters; advocate the REALTOR® position to local government and public officials; and oversees Central Ohio REALTORS® Political Action Committee (CORPAC). Key result areas include advocacy and CORPAC Fundraising. This position reports directly to the CEO as an exempt employee. Occasional, quarterly travel is required.
- Maintain a broad understanding of federal, state, and local political issues affecting the real estate industry.
- Track proposed legislation impacting land use policy and the real estate industry.
- Attend township, municipal, county, and other meetings as necessary.
- Assist the Association in determining positions on public policy and promote those positions to local governments.
- Broaden members’ awareness of political and policy matters through newsletters, website articles, video updates, social media, and presentations at brokerage sales meetings, membership meetings, or other speaking opportunities.
- Promote grassroots political involvement by REALTORS® through online advocacy and personal engagement.
- Coordinate candidate interview process for local public office and assist the CORPAC Governing Board in recommending candidates to receive CORPAC support.
- Coordinate with the Ohio REALTORS® and NAR Government Affairs staff on issues and activities as needed.
- Comply with registration and reporting requirements of local governments, the state, and the Campaign Finance laws regarding lobbying and PAC activities.
- Serve as liaison to all Government Affairs committees including, but not limited to Government Affairs Forum, Issues Advocacy Committee, Candidate Endorsement & Independent Expenditure Committee, CORPAC Governing Board and others as determined by CEO, providing staff support, including preparation of agendas, minutes, and other materials.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Three years of relative experience.
- Bachelor's degree in political science, public administration or prior work in a policy or political field is preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable communicating and interfacing with leadership and outside stakeholders.
- Must be highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Strong attention to detail: enterprising and resourceful attitude.
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects.
As an employee of Columbus Realtors and the MLS, you will receive a competitive salary with annual reviews. The benefit package includes, group health, dental, vision, and group life insurance with a 10% employee premium contribution. Also, 100% employer paid premiums for short - & - long term disability insurance. Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is available for all employees. Paid Time Off (PTO) is based on length of service, plus paid holidays. Employees are eligible for the company’s 401K plan after one year of service.
To apply: Qualified and interested candidates should submit their resumes, along with cover letter stating salary requirements to : Brent Swander, CEO; firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submissions is 12/03/2021.